Find Your Edge: Week 13 - How to Breakdown a Showdown Slate
Director of Data and Analytics, Kevin Cole, returns with a look at how past DFS slates can yield valuable insights to roster construction, decision making, and winning strategies for the coming slate of games. This is a big deal. We’ve collected a massive amount of data on past DFS slates, and Kevin is going to help you “find the edge” buried deep within them.
This week we’re going to jump back into Showdown analysis, but focus instead on how to bring together all the information we have in our Showdown Hub to find potential +EV plays.
In this article I’m going to walk through the Week 13 TNF Showdown numbers that include three main elements we can bring together:
- Optimal lineup allocations (CPT and total roster) for both team based on the results of similar historical matchups.
- Player ownership projections for FLEX and CPT produced by a model trained on 2018 Showdown contest results.
- Year-to-date Showdown contest positional allocations for winning (top 0.1%) entries and the field.
The numbers in our Showdown Hub focus on Captain (CPT) and total roster allocations (CPT plus FLEX). In this article, we’ll focus on CPT selection, but the same process can be applied to FLEX allocation.
The overarching key is to compare optimal allocations from historical similar matchups and see what options give you leverage over the field according to ownership projections.
Looking into historical results
Below is an example of the CPT optimal allocation charts available in the Showdown Hub. This specifically looks at 100 historical matchups are most similar to the Week 13 TNF game between the Saints and Cowboys.
Our Premium content can help you make better picks every day
- To read this full article for this week’s NFL games, you need to have a subscription to RG Premium.
- A Premium subscription will allow you to access this article, as well as Consensus Value Rankings, daily picks from top-ranked players, and much more.
- If you have already used your free trial, you can purchase a weekly pass to quickly gain access to Premium Content!