West Virginia Sports Betting – WV Online Sportsbook Info
West Virginia may only have five casinos, but the Mountain State has always had lofty aspirations when it comes to sports betting. And on August 30, 2018, West Virginia achieved one of its goals by becoming just the fifth state to officially launch legal sports betting in the US.
Almost exactly a year after launching the retail sports betting, two of the biggest names in US sports betting, FanDuel and DraftKings, launched in the West Virginia online sports betting market.
- Plus Deposit Match Up To $500
- Real Money Sports Bets
- Play DFS
- Moneyline, Futures, Props, More
- $500 RISK FREE BET
- No Code Necessary
- Great Moneyline Odds
- Easy To Use Interface
West Virginia Online Sportsbooks
|Site/App||Casino/Racetrack Partner(s)||Sports Betting Service Provider||Launch Date||Status|
|FanDuel Sportsbook||The Greenbrier||FanDuel Group||August 26, 2019||LIVE|
|DraftKings Sportsbook||Hollywood Casino Charles Town Races||DraftKings||August 28, 2019||LIVE|
|William Hill||Mountaineer Casino Racetrack and Resort||William Hill||TBD||Coming Soon|
|BetLucky||Wheeling Island Casino and|
Mardi Gras Casino
|Miomni||December 27, 2018||Closed|
West Virginia Casino and Racetrack Sportsbook Operators
|Casino/Racetrack||Sportsbook||Sports Betting Service Provider||Launch Date||Status|
|Hollywood Casino Charles Town Races||The SportsBook at Hollywood Casino Charles Town||DraftKings||August 30, 2018||Live|
|The Greenbrier||FanDuel Sportsbook||FanDuel Group||September 14, 2018||Live|
|Mountaineer Casino Racetrack & Resort||William Hill||William Hill||November 21, 2018||Live|
|Mardi Gras Casino & Resort||Mardi Gras Sportsbook||Miomni||December 27, 2018||Indefinitely suspended|
|Wheeling Island Hotel Casino Racetrack||Wheeling Island Sportsbook||Miomni||December 27, 2018||Indefinitely suspended|
Active West Virginia Online Sportsbooks
FanDuel Online Sportsbook
- Retail Launch Date: September 14, 2018
- Casino Partner: The Greenbrier
- Online/Mobile Launch Date: August 26, 2019
FanDuel is the number one online sportsbook in every US market they have entered, and its no secret why. The top Daily Fantasy Sports company first launched their online sportsbook in New Jersey back in 2018 and quickly rose up the ranks, eventually taking over the top spot. FanDuel has a clean, easy to use interface, tons of promos and quick cashouts.
FanDuel has partnered with The Greenbrier Resort in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia to run both their retail and online sportsbooks.
FanDuel West Virginia offers plenty of promotions in addition to their very generous $500 Risk-Free bet welcome package. These include but are not limited to:
- Parlay Insurance: Place a parlay bet of up to 5 legs, and it one leg loses, get your bet refunded up to $25.
- NBA 3rd Quarter Insurance: Place a pregame moneyline bet on any NBA game, and if your team leads after three quarters, and loses the game, get up to $50 back.
- Close Loss Insurance: Place a bet on any NCAA or NFL game and get a full refund up to $50 if your team loses by 6 or less.
- Daily Odds Boost: FanDuel will select a few bets each day on games or props and boost the odds.
This is just a fex examples of FanDuels promotional offers. Depending on the season, FanDuel will offer different promos to help turn the tables and give you the bettor a better chance to win.
- $500 RISK FREE BET
- No Code Necessary
- Great Moneyline Odds
- Easy To Use Interface
DraftKings Online Sportsbook
- Retail Launch Date: September 14, 2018
- Casino Partner: Hollywood Casino at Charlestown Races
- Online/Mobile Launch Date: August 28, 2019
DraftKings has partnered with Hollywood Casino at Charlestown Races to offer both their retail and online sportsbook. DraftKings is a top sportsbook in PA, NJ and Indiana and looks to compete for the top spot in West Virginia as well.
DraftKings offers tons of odds boosts daily, easy to use software and some crossover betting with Daily Fantasy Sports. New users can enjoy a $500 bet match on their first bet to use on any future bets!
DraftKings is also offering a 20% deposit match up to $500. This deposit match comes with a 25x wagering requirement in order to convert the bonus money into cash.
In addition to the $500 bet match and deposit match, DraftKings offers a ton of other promotions that are offerred on a rotating schedule. These include:
- Odds Boosts: DraftKings will pick a few bets and boost the odds!
- Parlay Insurance: Place a parlay bet of up to 5 legs, and it one leg loses, get your bet refunded up to $25 in the form of a free bet.
- DraftKings Rewards: Complete missions such as placing a certain amount of bets and get rewarded with free bets, cash or DFS entries.
- Plus Deposit Match Up To $500
- Real Money Sports Bets
- Play DFS
- Moneyline, Futures, Props, More
West Virginia Online Sportsbooks Coming Soon
- Retail Launch Date: November 21, 2018
- Casino Partner:Mountaineer Casino Racetrack & Resort
- Online/Mobile Launch Date: TBD
William Hill has partnered with Moutaineer Casino Racetrack and Resort to run both their retail and online sportsbooks. The retail sportsbook opened their doors November 21, 2018 and the online sportsbook is expected to launch in 2020.
William Hill in New Jersey is offering a 100% deposit match up to $100 for new users and offers a wide array of betting options including ingame and pregame betting. We expect the West Virginia online sportsbook to offer the same welcome package and betting options.
Other Possible Online Sportsbooks
The five casinos can form partnerships with up to sports betting sites in order to offer online sports betting. This means that there could be up to 12 more site popping up in the future. Other sites that may stake their claim are:
- FOX Bet: The result of a mega deal between online gambling giant The Stars Group and media superstar FOX Sports, FOX Bet has aspirations of becoming one of the top online sportsbooks in the country and we would not be surprised to see FOX Bet make a deal with one of the West Virginia Casinos.
- PointsBet: Australian-based PointsBet is already live in New Jersey and Indiana and offer an exciting new take on sports betting called PointsBetting. Basically a spread bet on steroids, the wild ride bases potential payouts on how close or far off your bet is from the actual spread.
- Rivers Online Sportsbook: Rivers online sportsbook is live in 3 states in one form or another. Rivers owns properties in two states with online sports betting, but has also formed a partnership in New Jersey in order to offer sports betting in the state.
Signing up for WV online Sportsbook
When signing up for either DraftKings or FanDuel, you will need to follow a few steps. The site will need to verify your identity, and to do so, they will need your name, address, phone number, email address and the last four of your social security number.
Once your identity is confirmed, you can deposit money using your bank account, credit card, PayPal and various other popular banking options depending on the site.
Offshore Sites vs Legal Regulated Sportsbooks
One of the most important and exciting reasons sportsbetting was legalized and regulated in the US, was to keep your money safe. When you are betting with illegal offshore sites, there is nobody watching your back. Lets take a look at the advantages of betting with legal regulated sites vs offshore betting sites.
- Safety: If you are betting on an offshore site, and your money disapears, there are no reprucussions to get your money back. There are also a ton of horror stories of offshore sites just not paying out bets correctly. Legal regulated sportsbooks are overseen by the West Virginia lottery, so you know your money is safe.
- Banking Options: You can easily link a bank account, credit card, PayPal, and many other secure options on legal regulated sites. Offshore sites can be frustrating by either making you deposit with cryptocurrency, rejected credit card deposits that raise red flags with your bank, or buying prepaid cards that dont always work. Withdrawals are a breeze and can be in your account sometimes in minutes on regulated sites, while offshore sites can take weeks, or not arrive at all.
- Responsible Gambling: One of the top priorities of legal regulated sites is keeping underage bettors off the sites, and giving problem gamblers options including breaks, deposit limits and the ability to permanently close an account. Offshore sites have no such safeguards in place.
- Promotions and Bonuses: The legal and regulated sportsbook market is highly competitive, and when big companies compete, the consumer wins! All of the West Virginia online sportsbooks offer free bets, odds boosts, special contests and more to help entice you to play on their site.
Online Sportsbooks Available Platforms
West Virginia online sportsbooks are available in a variety of options. Mobile apps are available for both Android and iOS (iPhone/iPad) powered devices. To download the iOS app, simply go to the Apple App store. There is only one FanDuel app that automatically locates you in West Virginia, but when downloading the DraftKings app, be sure to choose the West Virginia version.
West Virginia online sportsbooks are also available on PC and Mac computers in any web browser. You will need to download a location plug in order to verify that you are in West Virginia. You will only need to download the plugin once, and it should work across all sites.
In order to place a bet on any West Virginia online sportsbooks, you must be physically located within the state. Sportsbooks use a technology called Geolocation to verify that you are eligible to place a bet.
When betting on your phone, geolocation uses your phones GPS to accurately locate you. When you are betting on your PC or Mac, its a little more complex. The location software uses not only the WiFi that you are connected to, but up to 3 other available WiFi signals to pinpoint your location. If you run into problems, a simple fix may be to buy a WiFi extender that can give you up to two extra signals.
West Virginia Online Betting Options
- Moneyline Bets: Moneyline bets are simply picking who is going to win.
- Spread Bets: Spread bets are choosing who is going to win, but with a handicap.
- Totals Bets: Totals bets, also called Over/Under bets are betting on total points or goals in a game or match.
- Prop Bets: Prop bets or proposition bets are bets on either player performance or team performance such as points a player scores, touchdowns thrown or corner kicks in a soccer game.
- Futures Bets: Futures bets are typically made on proposition bets that will be a season long or an event taking place in the future. For example: you can place a bet on the Nationals to repeat as world series champ even before the season starts.
- Parlays: Parlays are several bets on one betslip, where all the outcomes must win in order to be paid out, but the odds increase in your favor with more “legs” added to the parlay.
Retail Sports Betting Options
There are also several options for placing a bet live and in person in West Virginia. The casinos are well spread out, covering the southern, northeastern, west and northwestern sections of the state.
FanDuel Sportsbook at the Casino Club at Greenbrier Resort (Southern)
Located in White Sulphur Springs, WV, on the border with Virginia, The Greenbrier Resort may be the only private, legal sportsbook in the country. The Greenbrier Casino Club is only available to club members and guests of the Greenbrier resort and has a dress code and a level of elegance not seen at your typical sportsbook.
The resort is more than just a casino. The Greenbrier has a golf course, spa, many restaurants, tennis and some of the most beautiful accomidations options you will ever see.
The Sportsbook at Hollywood Casino Charles Town (Northeastern)
On the border of Maryland and Washington DC, Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races is the largest casino in West Virginia and the first casino in West Virginia to accept a legal sportsbet back in August 2018.
The Sportsbook at Hollywood Casino has been the most successful of the West Virginia sportsbooks in the first year of operation which may be partially attributed to their location, size and being a public sportsbook.
William Hill Sportsbook at Mountaineer Casino, Racetrack and Resort (Northwestern)
The Mountaineer Casino, Racetrack and Resort is located just a few feet away from the Ohio border and their sportsbook is powered by William Hill. In addition to the sportsbook, the casino offers slots, table games, restaurants, spa and entertainment.
The William Hill online sports betting app is coming soon and will be a much needed addition as the Mountaineer Casino is among the lowest earners when it comes to revenue in the state.
Wheeling Island and Mardi Gras Casinos
Wheeling Island and Mardi Gras Casinos are both owned by Delaware North and were at one point live for sports betting but have been indefinately suspended due to issues with their data provider, Miomni. There has been little news on if and when sports betting operations will resume.
Both Wheeling Island and Mardi Gras Casinos were operating under the BetLucky app and were actually the first to go live online but once the issues with Miomni came to be, all operations online ceased as well. The issues were also part of the delay for the launch of FanDuel and DraftKings as West Virginia Lottery officials decided to be more thorough with their review before allowing an online site to go live.
We hope to see both Wheeling Island and Mardi Gras resume sports betting operations in the future, whether it be fixing the issues with Miomni or finding a new data supplier.
General Summary of Sports Betting in West Virginia
West Virginia sports betting went online in December 2018, but it was a brief stint as BetLucky online sportsbook had provider issues and temporarily shut its operations down in March 2019, freezing all player balances and payouts. It was later announced that BetLucky would be permanently close down operations.
With both FanDuel and DraftKings online sportsbooks now live, West Virginia has two reliable options that aren’t going anywhere. The two DFS giants have consistantly been the go to options for bettors in New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
Under the West Virginia sports betting legislation, a physical casino is permitted to offer three sports betting sites or apps (skins), with the only stipulation being that each skin must feature the logo of the casino thru which it’s licensed. With seven casinos in West Virginia, there could potentially be up to 21 online sports betting apps in the future.
It’s a fantastic time for sports betting in West Virginia. Not only is WV one of the most pro-sports betting states in the US – behind maybe only Nevada and New Jersey – it’s also well positioned to offer sports wagering to fans and bettors of neighboring states that are lagging behind on sports betting legislation (Kentucky, Virginia and Ohio).
As online sportsbooks continue to roll out, be sure to check in with RotoGrinders for more West Virginia sports betting content, including WV online sportsbook reviews, as we’re happy to be your expert on all things West Virginia sports betting!
West Virginia Sports Betting Legislative Landscape
You can get a full glimpse of the state of the sports betting legislative landscape of West Virginia by reading the state’s sports betting regulations here.
What follows is a brief snapshot of West Virginia’s legislative landscape as it relates to sports betting:
- Sports betting is fully legalized and regulated in West Virginia casinos and racetracks
- Mobile and digital wagering is also legalized and regulated, with the only caveat being that each property is only permitted to license three skins
- Wagers are accepted on all professional sports, including college sporting events (with no limitations)
- Required licenses (and associated fees) for offering sports betting in West Virginia:
- Sports betting license – $100K
- Tax rates for WV sports betting as per the regulations
- Casinos and Racetracks – 10% in-person, 10% online
- In February 2019, an expansive gaming package including online poker and casinos passed the house with a 26-7 vote, further showing West Virginia’s commitment to expanding their casino revenue.
- Would be operated by the 5 existing casinos
- $250,000 license with $100,000 renew every 5 years
- Online poker and casinos would be taxed at 15%
West Virginia Sports Betting History
West Virginia’s history with sports betting is relatively short, but boy is it ever sweet!
It was only two years ago that West Virginia made a name for itself in the sports betting world. In 2016, West Virginia’s Attorney General, Patrick Morrisey, took strong action in support of New Jersey’s federal battle claiming PASPA as unconstitutional.
In 2017, West Virginia continued to position itself alongside New Jersey, making waves by including this aggressive claim in Bill H 2751 (which failed to pass):
“Whereas our State Attorney General is challenging the usurpation of the federal government of state authority to regulate sports pool betting and has articulated in the briefs of the State of West Virginia in Christie v. NCAA, 16-476, U.S. Supreme Court, that the U.S. Congress has no power to prevent state governments from authorizing sports betting as a form of gaming and therefore, the Legislature finds that it is reasonable and appropriate, for the State of West Virginia to proceed with legalizing sports pool betting pursuant to this article.”
Also in 2017, West Virginia conducted research on legal sports betting in the US. The study concluded that sports betting would eventually be legal in 30 states, which stressed the importance of timing and action. These results further emboldened West Virginia’s staunch support of, and goal to launch, legal sports betting.
On March 3, 2018, West Virginia officially legalized sports betting when Bill S 415 was quickly passed through state legislature. When PASPA was finally struck down in May 2018, it was off to the proverbial races for sports betting in West Virginia.
At 11am on August 30, 2018, the first official sports bet in West Virginia was placed: a $50 wager on West Virginia to win the 2019 NCAA championship game. Almost exactly one year later, on August 26, FanDuel launched their online sportsbook, and two days later, DraftKings launched their online sportsbook.
West Virginia Sports Betting FAQs
Can I bet on sports in West Virginia?
Yes! Sports betting is fully legal in West Virginia both online and in person. The first legal sports bet in West Virginia was made on August 30, 2018, at Hollywood Casino Charles Town Races.
Is online sports betting safe?
Yes! Sports betting is regulated the same as any casino bet by the West Virginia lottery.
Where can I bet on sports in person in West Virginia?
Bets can currently be placed in-person at two locations:
- Hollywood Casino Charles Town Races (The SportsBook at Hollywood Casino Charles Town)
- The Greenbrier (FanDuel Sportsbook)
- Mardi Gras Casino and Resort (Temporarily suspended)
- Mountaineer Casino Racetrack and Resort (William Hill)
- Wheeling Island Hotel Casino Racetrack (Temporarily suspended)
Where can I bet on sports online in West Virginia?
There are two online sportsbooks that are accepting bets in West Virginia that are legal and regulated by the West Virginia Lottery. These two online sportsbooks are:
- DraftKings Online Sportsbook: DraftKings has partnered with Hollywood Casino Charles Town Races in order to offer online sports betting in West Virginia.
- FanDuel Online Sportsbook: FanDuel has partnered with The GreenBrier in order to offer online sportsbetting in West Virginia.
Who has the best First Deposit bonus in West Virginia?
This is a question that can only be answered by you and what type of bettor you are but we can give you the pros and cons of both DraftKings and FanDuel first deposit bonus offerings.
DraftKings is currently offering a $500 Risk Free Bet and a 20% deposit match up to $500. The Risk-Free Bet is actually a $500 bet match, essentially giving you a free bet to use equal to your first bet up to $500. The deposit match comes with a hefty 25x wagering requirements which is by far the largest we have seen in any US market.
Essentially, if you take full advantage of the $500 deposit match, you would need to deposit $2500 and wager $12,500 in order to clear the full bonus. If you are a high volume bettor, this may be a very attractive offer to you.
FanDuel is currently offering a $500 Risk-Free bet where if your first bet loses, you will be refunded in site credit up to $500. Site credit works the same as cash, where winning bets using site credit will pay both the bet and the profit from the winning wager. The FanDuel site credit can be used in any denomination from $0.10 and up.
FanDuel’s offer allows lower stake players a chance to take a shot on a bet that is larger than what they might normally bet, and if it loses, you have $500 in site credit that works the same as cash.
Are DraftKings and FanDuel legal in West Virginia?
Yes! both DraftKings and FanDuel are legal and fully operational. They are both regulated by the West Virginia lottery meaning that your funds are secure.
Which West Virginia sports teams can I bet on?
There are no professional sports teams in West Virginia, but you can bet on any college teams including West Virginia and Marshall.
How old do I have to be to bet on sports in West Virginia?
The legal age for any form of gambling in West Virginia is 21 years old and older.
What sports can I bet on in West Virginia?
Bets can be made on all professional sports and all college sports. Unlike New Jersey teams, there are no restrictions on betting on West Virginia state teams and venues.
What types of bets can I make in West Virginia?
Moneyline, point spread, over/under, prop, parlay and future bets.
Given that both DFS and sports betting are legal in West Virginia, will we see any hybrid games offered in the near future?
With FanDuel and DraftKings, the leaders in the DFS world announcing their launch online in West Virginia, we have every reason to believe that we will see a DFS/sports betting hybrid model.
Who can place a bet in West Virginia?
Anyone who is 21 years of age or older and physically located in the state.